tax accountant

Are you looking for a tax accountant in Toronto to help you with your tax return?

You may be eligible for free tax services

If you are looking for a tax accountant in the Toronto or North York area, yet have a simple tax situation and modest income, you may be eligible for free tax services.

In fact, there are many community organizations throughout Canada that have volunteers completing tax returns for eligible individuals. These tax clinics are made feasible through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP).

You might qualify for theses services if you have a modest income and a simple tax situation.

1. What is a modest income?

Modest income means that your family income is less than the amount shown in the chart below. Verify with the community organization in your vicinity to see if you are eligible as some organizations have different eligibility requirements. 

Family size Total family income
One person $30,000
One person with one dependant $35,000 (add $2,500 for each additional dependant)
Couple $40,000 (add $2,500 for each dependant)

2. Do you have a simple tax situation?

In general, your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from these sources:

  • employment
  • pension
  • benefits such as CPP, disability, CCB, EI, social assistance
  • RRSP
  • support payments
  • scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants
  • interest (under $1,000)

Your tax situation is not simple if you:

  • are self-employed or have employment expenses
  • have business or rental income and expenses
  • have capital gains or losses
  • file for bankruptcy
  • are completing a tax return for a deceased person

In such circumstances, you may wish to seek advice and assistance from a tax accountant.

3. When are these free tax services offered?

Volunteer tax preparation clinics are generally offered each year between February and April but many are operating all year at various locations across Canada.

4. Where are the tax preparation clinics located?

Here is a list of free tax preparation clinics in:

5. What to bring to the tax preparation clinic?

 In order for volunteers to complete your income tax and benefit return for you, make sure to bring your:

  • Tax information slips
  • Receipts
  • Social Insurance Number
  • Identification

Volunteers need the above items to prepare your income tax and benefit return.

7. How do you get your slips?

You can visit Service Canada‘s secure site to get access to your current year and prior year old age security (OAS), employment insurance (EI) and Canada pension plan (CPP) tax slips electronically. 

For more information, see Information slips – T4 and other slips.

8. What if I require assistance with my taxes and don’t qualify for assistance from one of the free tax clinics?

If you require assistance with your taxes and are not eligible for assistance from one of the free tax clinics, you may contact S & P Accounting Services. We are a full-service accounting firm handling taxation, bookkeeping, payroll and accounting. We happily serve clients in North York, Toronto, Vaughan, Mississauga, Richmond Hill and other cities situated in the GTA. If you require consultation or a have any accounting inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Polina Presman, CPA, CA

T- 416-371-6017
F- 416-667-0404

Shani Marzin, CPA, CA

T- 416-731-9031
F- 416-667-0404

S&P Accounting Services LLP
2727 Steeles Ave. W. Suite 300
North York, ON, M3J 3G9


We strive to ensure all information on our site is accurate and up to date. However, the contents of the site are naturally subject to change from time to time. That means, we can’t always guarantee the accuracy of all information on the site. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CHECKING THE ACCURACY OF RELEVANT FACTS AND OPINIONS GIVEN ON THE SITE BEFORE ENTERING INTO ANY COMMITMENT BASED UPON THEM.

This post was written by Biz Source, a content creation company and is for illustration purposes only. For professional advice, please contact S & P Accounting Services.



A Tax Accountant shares the nitty gritty of being tax audited

As a Tax Accountant, I believe that it is my responsibility to reduce the chances of my clients being audited.

In fact, being audited can be overwhelming and it is definitely something you’d want to avoid. In this article, I explain, Why CRA audits? and What a tax audit is?

Why does CRA audit?

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is responsible for administering tax and benefit programs for all Canadians.  In order to ensure that the tax system is fair for everyone and that all Canadians receive the benefits and amounts that they are eligible for, the CRA audits businesses that may not have calculated their taxes correctly. In fact, the Canadian tax system relies on self-assessment. This means individuals register their business as applicable and at the end of the year or at the end of the reporting period, individuals calculate their own taxes and submit a tax return to the CRA along with any payments required. So the auditing is one way to ensure that businesses fulfill their obligations and receive any amounts and benefits that they are eligible for.

What is a tax audit?

When CRA receives a tax return it typically goes through an initial processing that checks basic information and calculates the information. From this initial processing, you receive a notice of assessment

A tax audit, on the other hand is a more detailed examination of your books and records. Records are financial documents that sum up your transactions and include documents to support these transactions. A tax audit is conducted after you’ve received your notice of assessment to find out if you’ve calculated your taxes correctly.

While undergoing a tax audit, the CRA first reviews the income and expenses you’ve reported. GST registrants might be more familiar with the terms supplies and input tax credits.

Next, the CRA may compare the income and expenses you’ve reported with other sources they have on file in order to affirm that you’ve followed the tax laws and that your calculations are accurate.

During this time, CRA also checks to see that you’ve reported revenues from all sources and that the expenses you claimed are deductible and supported by receipts. For GST/HST audits, CRA ensures that GST/HST is collected and reported on all taxable supplies, that you are entitled to the input tax credits you’ve claimed and that you have receipts to support your claims.

Finally, at the end of the audit, CRA will send you a letter and affirm one of three things.

1) that the previous Notice of Assessment was correct and nothing more needs to be done, or 2) that an adjustment needs to be made in more tax (reassessment) and you will have to pay the balance owing or 3) that an adjustment needs to be made, resulting in less tax (reassessment) and you will qualify for a refund. In most cases, audits result in a reassessment with mores taxes being owed to the Government of Canada.

If the adjustment results in more taxes being owed, the auditor can provide you with an approximation of the balance owing before the CRA issues a notice of assessment or notice of reassessment. This will give you the chance to prevent more interest charges from accruing by paying all or part of what you owe immediately. For more information, go to Make a payment to the Canada Revenue Agency.

I believe that a good Tax Accountant reminds clients of their responsibilities and requirements as tax-paying citizens. Businesses are obligated to to meet registration, reporting, filing and payment responsibilities which are written under the CRA laws.

Specifically, this means that you must keep your books and records up to date and generally for six years from the day that you file your tax return. You must also keep your books and records in an accessible and readable format either on paper or electronically.  Lastly, you must also provide your books and records and supporting documents to the auditor upon request.  All these steps will help reduce the chances that you will be audited and help ensure that you report your taxes correctly.  

If you require additional consultation or a tax planning strategy, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Polina Presman, CPA, CA

T- 416-371-6017
F- 416-667-0404

Shani Marzin, CPA, CA

T- 416-731-9031
F- 416-667-0404

S&P Accounting Services LLP
2727 Steeles Ave. W. Suite 300
North York, ON, M3J 3G9